Sunday, July 13, 2008

RKE v1.0.2

The new updated firmware and application software for the RKE was released last Wednesday. This short-lived software was then taken off the Digital Aquatics website and offered again on Friday with basically the same updates.

After the update, the graph for temperature now starts out as 70.0 through 100.0 on the y-axis. It appears flat because of the low resolution. Temperature graphing was fine before the update. I don't know how to change it at this point. I've already tried removing the graphing data, but now I just let it collect data and wait for the next update. The only option I have causes the y-axis to graph from 0.0 to 100.0 which isn't any better.

Going to Reef Central, I found a thread in which someone finally explained how to calibrate the pH meter. The pH meters that I've come across in my profession usually require you to calibrate a probe using either a pH solution of 4.00, 7.00 or 10.00 depending on what kind of pH buffer you're creating. The process involves calibrating the probe at each individual point. The RKE, though, requires you to go through two pH buffers first before you can choose to save the calibration points.

I wonder which country in the world calibrates their probes in this fashion? But, with that in mind: which probes have I been using in my career? hmmmm......curious now.


RKE as a Controller
With the pH and the temperature probes satisfactorily monitoring my tank, I've decided to move one very small step up and allow the RKE to control 3X 200W heaters in the sump. I say it's a small step because heat is not needed now as it's summertime! Maybe there will be communication software available before winter comes?

The next step is adding two fans. These fans used to be in my canopy where they cooled down the Metal Halide/PC combo lighting. But, since upgrading (?) or changing over to AI LED's, I decided to use one of the fans to blow air on the sump water. In this way, I can cool down the tank's temperature and delay the time the chiller turns on and save energy. The other fan is now being used to cool down the AI LED's three adaptors. The entire AI LED has already shut down twice because of adaptor overheating (AAARRRGGGHHHHH.....feel my pain, blog!).

RKE Not Recommended (for now)
This morning, I checked the temperature of the AI LED adaptors by hand and discovered that the fan was not on. In fact, the sump fan was not on either! I looked at the PC4 which controls these two and it was displaying the RED DOT OF DEATH! So, I turned it off, unplugged the communication wire and it reset. I was dreading having this particular unpredictable problem as I've read about it happening on the Reef Central threads.

Therefore, I cannot recommend the RKE until all issues have been solved. Until that time, I certainly won't hook up my main pump and protein skimmer to the RKE.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: