Thursday, July 17, 2008

Banggai Parenthood

It starts out with a true pair.
My pair of Banggai Cardinals, which were purchased April 26th at Pet Kingdom, have been doing well in my tank. They were in my quarantine tank for a few weeks before going to the main tank.
Click....click....click...
One thing that surprised me was that they were able to make clicking noises with their jaws when I'm face up against the aquarium and staring at corals. At first, I thought the dominant male was butting his head against the aquarium when I first heard the clicking. Then, I Googled about it on the internet and found out otherwise.
Jaw Dropping
I also came across various posts from people worried that one of their Banggai's jaws was damaged. As the posts went on, they soon discovered that their fish was incubating eggs in its mouth. I had already read about cardinals at WetWebMedia before my purchase and knew that they could readily reproduce in captivity. I just wasn't prepared at how soon this was to happen in my case.


Suspect: Extended Jaw
Water Conditions: A-Okay
I've seen the pair's courtship dance. It's a satisfying treat when you see your captive fish carrying on "naturally" because it at least means that your tank condition requirements are being met for this to occur. I've read that the male is the large, dominant one (as opposed to the large, dominant female in a clown fish pair). I wasn't able to witness it, but the female deposits eggs on some surface while the male subsequently engulfs them into his mouth. He will not eat food until they hatch about a week later. I haven't a clue when that day will be, though.
Fish Fry
I don't have any plans to capture and raise the fry. But, if I'm lucky enough to isolate them, I may offer them up for adoption. They'll most likely become Fish McNuggets to the other tank mates or get chopped up by the Vortech pumps or simply go through the overflow and end up in the filter sock. In the wild, the young fish may be found in the protective, long spines of Diadema sea urchins. My tuxedo urchin has been wrapping itself in red algae. Perhaps it's anticipating a birth and making up for its short spines? ...wishful thinking on my part.

The Proof
Observing the male mouth brooder, I can see that he has to adjust the eggs every so often. It's probably to keep them well oxygenated and to wash out waste products. I just had to wait patiently before I could snap this shot.
The Society
I'm having an SDMAS meeting here in 5 days. If all goes well, perhaps they'll witness a birth? and a slaughter? Maybe I'll just distract them with The Hand of Neptune?!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: