Friday, July 4, 2008

Cleaning Acrylic Aquarium Walls

Periodically, I have to clean the walls of my acrylic aquarium. Algae covers the walls as time goes by. I doubt that anyone with a decent collection of fish and corals with any form of lighting will state that they NEVER have to clean their walls. Waste products from the fish, invertebrates and corals all contribute to the nutrient composition preferred by micro algae: phosphates and nitrates.

At first, I assumed that the ubiquitous algae magnet cleaner was what I needed. On ReefCentral, I read on one Tank of the Month entry that one should use the magnetic scraper even when the algae is not visible to the naked eye. In this way, it's easier for the scraper to keep up.
I find that if you don't routinely use this scraper, you find that you really have to do the "wax on, wax off" method to remove the spots of algae that get a foothold. And, in doing so, you run the risk of scratching the acrylic which is what has happened in my tank many, many times already. At the current rate, I expect the tank to be opaque in 10 years.

After one year of experience, however, I now believe that the magnetic scraper's purpose is to entice your reef aquarium babysitter to help you remove algae while you're out on vacation even though you specifically said, "Don't you do it!". And, in the process pick up bits of sand in order to put a 12" scar across your tank.

I confess. It's truly my fault for not removing it from the tank. In fact, the second time it happened was because I did not remove it from the house entirely. I'm now contemplating giving them (the magnetic scrapers, not the humans) a burial underneath one of the ponds in the backyard. No one should use them. Ever.That's why I have Mexican Turbo and Astrea snails to clean the glass. But, the numbers required to keep busy on the walls is the exact same number that it takes to occlude vision of your other, more colorful tank mates. If you don't have enough, they just make fancy eating trail patterns across the micro algae lawn.

I now find that using this scraper is the best method for routine algae scraping. No more "wax on, wax off", Mr. Miyagi! It's the best approach for scraping down to the sand bed which is a NO NO when using the magnetic scraper since it stirs up sand. And, you can even wait until the algae gets a foothold; it doesn't stand a chance!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: