Sunday, July 20, 2008

Aquaillumination LED: Back from the Dead

Back from the Dead
The 5' Aquaillumination LED is back. In case you're wondering about shipping a 5' box to the Midwest, just be prepared to shell out more than $250 for packing, insurance and S&H. Unfortunately, when they mention "modular design", that doesn't mean you can take it apart and stack 1' units in a simple box. Threatening to delay the entire process, this exchange was happening after the Midwest flooding and right before July 4th holiday.

My corals were placed under PC lighting. The Acropora were not pleased; they lost color and turned brown. The fish and softies could have cared less. In fact, some of the softies seemed to be responding more to the PC lighting!

After struggling with the legs, the unit is now situated on top of wooden spacers inside the canopy. I can slide it front to back when I'm doing tank maintenance. None of the LEDs on the sides are being blocked.

More "vital information" concerning the operation of this device:

VITAL INFORMATION #2


Cool down the adaptors with a fan as now suggested by Aquaillumination.

After getting my refurbished unit, I started to increase output of the blue and white LEDs at a rate of 5% per day. When I reached 55%, the unit shut itself down. It turns out that the adaptors will shut down the entire unit when a specific, high temperature is reached. To avoid this, one should install a fan to disperse the heat. So far, I've managed to avoid another shut down albeit with a faulty RKE (high tech these days....:rolls eyes:) controlling the fan. I'm up to 95% blue and 95% white.

VITAL INFORMATION #3


Attach the unit to a QUALITY power surge device. Apparently, my initial situation didn't provide enough surge protection. The small battery backup shown here is mainly being used for its power surge capabilities. This is a temporary solution until I can get a newer batter backup model.


Otherwise, I'm sittin' back and relaxing while the corals bring back their colors and the dialed-in calcium reactor doses my tank! Looks like we're back in the game with only one possible loss.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: