Saturday, June 14, 2008

June Reef Societies Meeting

I went to a June meeting last night in Lemon Grove. Members of NCRMAS, SBRS and SDMAS were present. There was plenty of food and drink. About 40 people showed up.

This is a new and ongoing installation of a 300 gallon tank which uses Scripps Pier sea water. Dave has been using NSW successfully for about 10 years in his tanks. WetWebMedia suggests that you should use NSW with caution. All corals, macro algae, coralline algae and fish are in mint condition as far as I can tell. I find this display tank very encouraging as I've also chosen to use Scripps NSW in my tank.
A guy from Reef Nutrition gave a very detailed lecture about their micro food products for the reef tank.

Decisions, decisions.....drool wiping....Direct Marine Imports & Snyder Perkins Seas frags in the back of a pickup truck. They donated about 6 frags to the raffle.
Members' frag tank. One member donated a Rainbow Montipora to the raffle.

The guys from Reef Empire brought an impressive batch of frags to sell. They donated some frags to the raffle as well.

In the upper right-hand corner of this mini frag tank close-up is a frag that caught my eye. I'm still waiting for those Lord Acan prices to fall! Now that I can look at these frags under the scrutiny of the camera's eye, I'm regretting not purchasing more at this event!

Here's the frag acclimating in my possession. It's a Pavona sp. The polyps seem to have this shiny copper effect with the lights. And, at night, the frag has an orange fluorescent glow under the blue moonlights.

I purchased some raffle tickets and noticed that about 3 raffle tickets AFTER my raffle tickets were called out as winners. One of my tickets was called out, but it was the last one. And, at that time, it was just a free-for-all, grab-bag sorta thing. Mayhem ensued. I'll be sure to purchase more tickets at the next event to increase my odds of winning!

No comments: