Friday, June 6, 2008

Calcium Reactor Installation Part II

Here's some detail on one of the calcium reactor's cylinders. It contains a yellow plastic strainer plate, a white strainer plate and a fine screen mesh on top.
After rinsing the substrate, I loaded the cylinders. I calculated the total volume of the cylinders to be 1.1 gallons (4.5" diameter and 16" height each). I still needed an extra 2 cups after the washing and settling.
The left cylinder is kept lower with substrate than the right one in order to avoid debris being caught up in the circulation pump. I attached the feeder pump and the lids (eight nuts and bolts holding down an acrylic square with an o-ring underneath) and tested the system with water. Then, I purged the system with Scripps sea water.

Here is the temporary set up. From left to right: CO2 tank, digital timer for counting bubble and drop rates, calcium reactor, auto top-off with designer Scrabble game on top and refugium tank. I have to find some furniture to hide these items!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: