Friday, June 6, 2008

Calcium Reactor Installation Part III

You can see the feeder pump in the lower right of this portion of the sump. The relief valve was spraying too much, so I submerged the entire setup. It makes a little flow within the sump with no noise and no bubbles are generated. The extra tubing is looping over the top in case I move the calcium reactor farther away.
In the middle, you can see the bubble counter with a CO2 bubble in it. It was suggested that the bubble count be set to 40 bubbles per minute. I currently have it at 38/min.
This is more detail on the CO2 regulator showing the fine needle valve (Marine Depot) which helps in getting the correct bubble count going. I wasn't worried too much with the black tubing fit as I have the second gauge output to the lowest setting. I could only shoot for less than 25 psi because of the gauge resolution. The recommended pressure is usually 15 psi.

Right between the two main tank return pipes in the sump, you can see the effluent tubing from the calcium reactor. I like it dripping into the return where there's a lot of turbulence for easy mixing. It was suggested that I set this at 35 drops per minute, but I currently have it set to 40/min. It was a PITA trying to get the gate valve to slow down or speed up the rate because of the awkwardness of how I have it set up. I need more tubing to make this easily accessible for fine tuning.

No comments: