Saturday, June 28, 2008

Idaho Grape Montipora undata Growth

For my two avid blog readers, I've decided to show a short growth sequence of Idaho Grape Montipora undata. I initially received this as a very large frag from an SDMAS member. It had "browned out" and lost its purple color after doing so well, so he had decided to remove large pieces from his tank. I placed a piece in my tank where it continued to suffer under old metal halide and pc lighting and less-than-stellar water conditions. I did see a little growth spurt, then decided to remove it from the main tank. The pieces that migrated to the rocks are what you see recovering in the following pictures.

When I improved water conditions and installed the Aquaillumination LED, it resumed growth. And, it gained back a deep purple colour with dark blue polyps. The last picture shows it "browning out" again during the LED repair time. It should gain back colour when the LEDs come back and if I decide I'm not too chicken to plug it in to the wall socket!

April 24th, 2008


Posted by Picasa

No comments: