Thursday, April 23, 2009

Nano Reef Chemistry

When I purchased the live rock from AquaSD, they mentioned that the rock had been cycling for about 3 weeks. So, if I add that to the time it has been in my Nano tank, I find that I have about 5 weeks of cycling time to date. All seawater added to the Nano comes from my 110 gallon main reef tank. So, by using established tank water, I may be able to speed up the cycling process. It's a gamble to add corals at this point, but I have Frogspawn coral frags in the quarantine tank that need better lighting than a standard fluorescent bulb. So, in they go along with an Emerald Crab. The three pieces will go in a shady spot for a few days, then they'll be positioned under the new Aquaillumination LED lights (more on THAT later) of the Nano tank. After they've healed and look presentable, I plan to trade them out.

I didn't detect any ammonia or nitrite spikes with the few measurements taken. Nitrate levels are at an acceptable 5 ppm. The rock is relatively clean with a few live fan worms. I've noticed a lot of copepods starting to populate the glass walls of the tank. Two other live rock hitchhikers include a small brittle star and a stomatellid snail. From the filter bag of my main tank, I've collected tiny Cerith snails to place in the Nano.

I'm using an API Freshwater Master Test kit which works just fine for the saltwater application.



Posted by Picasa

No comments: