Friday, April 10, 2009

Blue Flasher Wrasse Stuck in Overflow

(...and not mysteriously vanquished from the reef!)

I'm glad that I took a quick peek in the right overflow of my main tank because I found a fish staring back at me. The Blue Flasher introduction didn't go too well because Adebisis the Purple Tang is very dominant and sends all the little fish scurrying to their hiding places when he pulls up his fins (or when he does his weird dance).

The Blue Flasher Wrasse had taken a trip between the weir teeth of the overflow to hide. So, I was happy to know that he didn't go carpet surfing, get caught by the suspected Gorilla crab or get diced in the plastic egg crate positioned on the tank top (I've read that egg crate is a great "wrasse dicer" on ReefCentral). I spent quite some time searching for this little fish; he disappeared only hours after being introduced to the main tank while I rearranged Human furniture.

I'll have to move the lighting fixture and get access to the overflow box by removing the acrylic lid that covers it. Then, I'll pull on the Durso standpipe to pull it free from the bottom. The water in the overflow box will drain and the fish will either stay in the box area or go flowing down the return drain where he'll land in the sump.

Here's a close-up of the Aiptasia (or "glass anemone"). It is constantly sending out an invitation for dinner and certainly could accept a wrasse of this size. Although, I've never seen it happen in my tank. The anemone serves as a detritus feeder along with all those other filter feeders (sponges, fan worms, snails) in the "cryptic zone" of my overflow box. The anemone is also a pest which can rapidly multiply in numbers and create an uncomfortable environment for the other inhabitants of the tank.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: