Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Double Vortech Maintenance: WARNING!

I cleaned off the encrusting coralline algae and other growth from the two MP40w Vortechs which operate in my main tank. I soaked them overnight in a diluted solution of white vinegar. I used an old toothbrush to help out and scraped at the coralline with my fingernails.

In an attempt to get them to pose for this blog, I inadvertently brought the two magnets too close together and WHAM! They got stuck! They almost took my thumb this time! When it happened yesterday, I at least had the protective backings on. This time, the magnets were in direct contact with each other.

I found nothing in the FAQ section at EcoTech Marine. So, a quick search on the internet (before I lose a thumb) advised: "If it is difficult to separate magnets , press one against the edge of a desk and slide the other one free."

I successfully used a 15 x 11" piece of 1/4" thick acrylic to help me slide these babies apart.

Et, voila! Here they are tempting fate once again. I just wanted to assess the status of the magnets. They're as clean as the day the company decided to replace the original rusting design. I was concerned about the area around the screw where the propeller shaft is attached. But, it looks like it's still in excellent condition!



It's a 5-star rating for this device! It should qualify as Ocean-proof!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: