Sunday, October 19, 2008

DIY Fish Food

This is my third batch of fish food in about a year or so. I started out with the recommendations in Robert Fenner's older edition of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarists" which worked well enough. I think I added too much seaweed in one batch and it reeked so badly that I got tired of handling it. Also, I didn't like adding gelatin because you had to heat it up and the stuff was always sticky at that high consistency which you were never sure of having attained.

For this batch, I make a few modifications like subtracting the gelatin and the veggies.

I figure that the resulting proteinaceous muck will hold itself together (after all, gelatin is just another protein. Why add more?).

Also, I like feeding seaweed separately on a clip.

Finally, I'm trying to see if this batch will have less "floaties". I don't know what contributes to floating food in the other batches, which ends up going into the overflows when the main pumps turn back on, but I'll reduce the recipe to see if that helps out.

I just threw in a Bay Scallop and it sunk. So, there's one ingredient that I'm going to keep including. The Timor Wrasse went wild with it once he figured that it wasn't a (sinking) marshmallow.


I forgot to take a picture of the scallops. They just looked like miniature marshmallows.


I was unsure about the treated and cooked imitation crab, so I removed them all.

INGREDIENTS:

1) 16 oz (454 g) Seafood Combo (squid, octopus, monkfish, crab, pollock, etc.)
2) 0.3 lbs Bay Scallops
3) Dashes of Freeze Dried Cyclop-eeze®
4) Pictured, but not used: Marine Gro pellets. If I'm in a hurry to feed, I'll just feed the fish flakes or pellets. So, adding these things to the mix is not necessary.



STEPS:

1) Thaw and rinse Seafood Combo in colander over the sink. I wasn't sure about the imitation crab; it was listed with sodium pyrophosphate, cooked and treated with sugars, so I removed them all. (I couldn't find the seafood combo I bought last time and I forgot to even read the ingredients with this one.)
2) In small batches, place enough Seafood Combo in Cuisinart food processor.
3) Add a handful of Bay Scallops.
4) Sprinkle on some Freeze Dried Cyclop-eeze® until you're about to sneeze.
5) Process on lowest settings until chunks are small enough to fit in your pets' mouths.
6) Using a large, 1 gallon Zip-Loc bag, combine all batches (I processed about 3 batches).
7) Press down and evenly distribute the food.
8) Place on a support and freeze overnight, preferably in a frost freezer.


Don't overfill! Sprinkle Cyclop-eeze® in the processor. That'll get them sinkin'!


Place all batch mixes into 1 gallon Zip-Loc bag. I picked up this trick watching an old episode of Reefcast.

Nice and squared for the little OCD in you. After freezing, you can break off stamp-sized chunks for thawing and feeding.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: