Sunday, September 21, 2008

Pipefish

I purchased these pipefish 3 weeks ago at Vets Pets in El Cajon. I was originally seeking a pair of Dragon Face Pipefish as a biological solution for controlling my acropora red bug infestation. After a week under quarantine, I moved the pair to the refugium. But, I just couldn't bring myself to dump them into the main tank where they would face the dangers of 3 VorTech pumps, Jabba the very hungry Scolymia, Queen Amygdala the Flame Angel, various shimps and crabs and who knows what else?

They'll have a permanent home in my refugium. Consequently, I've effectively downgraded my refugium's function to biological scrubber (macro algae aiding in the removal of nitrogenous waste and phosphates). The pipefish will probably keep the 'pod population from migrating to the main tank. A certain Scooter Blenny is unhappy about that, but in exchange, he demands extra servings of Ocean Nutrition pellets delivered right up to his face.

These guys are very difficult to photograph as they have long bodies and are very small. For now, here's a pic of one of the pair.


Dragon Face Pipefish
Oh, yeah: as an impulse buy, I also got a pair of Banded Pipefish. These fish spend more time hovering in the water column while the Dragon Face spend their time slithering on the bottom. One of the Banded had a split tail when it first arrived, but it has healed since then.


Banded Pipefish

The concern is that these fish will eat up all the available critters in the refugium. So, I've entered into a new stage of reefkeeping: growing Sea-Monkeys®. Every Monday, I start up a hatchery of Brine Shrimp (San Francisco Bay Brand). A few days later, they are harvested and kept in the refrigerator where they remain viable for 4 days or so.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: