Thursday, January 8, 2009

7 Blue-green Chromis & Firefish goby

I stopped by Pet Kingdom and purchased 7 small Blue-green Chromis and one Firefish. With a refractometer, I measured the salinity in the bag containing the Chromis which came from the All Fish section of the store. It read at 1.020 SG (hyposalinity). While the Firefish's water salinity read at 1.024 SG (near normal) because it came from the Invertebrate section of the store. I keep my reef at 1.025 SG (normal). I don't have to alter it much since that's what comes out the hose at Scripps Pier.

Chromis can be quite sensitive depending on the stock. So, I acclimated the bags containing the fish to the temperature of the tank. Then, I gradually added tank water to the half-emptied bags to at least avoid any drastic changes in pH. I doubt they would be sensitive to a shift in salinity since some hobbyists routinely "fresh water dip" the fish for several minutes to avoid parasites.

I plan on observing these fish in my quarantine tank for at least three weeks before I move them to the main reef tank. How that story ends is left up to the current critter community.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: