Tuesday, July 4, 2017

I'm back in! Only, no salt this time around!

Kylie has discovered the aquatic varmints

Well, that break only lasted 3 years. I'm back into the aquarium hobby. But, this time around I'm going with a freshwater planted tank using the Diana Walstad (El Natural, Natural Planted Tank) method. I've read enough of her book to give it a go.
I decided to blog about my tank as a personal reference and to provide info for anyone looking for similar setups. I think the tall tank is something hobbyists tend to avoid for the planted tank for a few reasons: you need long arms to work with the plants at the bottom of the tank (I have those), water circulation and the idea that the bottom of the tank won't get enough oxygenation (canister filter seems be doing well on water movement, so far).
June 22nd: I started with a 70 gallon, tall Visio glass aquarium (36 X 15 X 30"), stand and canopy, a 36" strip of Current USA Pro Plus LEDs, San Diego tap water treated with API Tap Water Conditioner (too guilty to use the RO water....or, just being environmentally responsible, at least to some degree), two bags of Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix (8-Qt., each), two bags of Seachem Laboratories Flourite Black Substrate (15.4 lbs, each) and a Cascade 1200 canister filter. A heater will be used during the winter months.
Cracked Aquarium
The first set up lasted an overnight stay, however. I got home from work in the nick-of-time to see the water level unusually low by about an inch or two. I started checking frantically for leaks, but couldn't find any until I ran my hands against the back lower left of the aquarium. The water was dripping slowly out the back and wicking its way out of the house! The aquarium, being under warranty, was promptly drained, cleaned and swapped out for a new one. A crack was discovered on the bottom glass. For the uninitiated: this is a very rare occurrence and shouldn't dissuade you from considering a glass aquarium of this size. Just discuss it further with your local pet store if you need further reassurances.
So, that changed my Diana Walstad substrate formula. I ended up taking the drained, mixed soil/Flourite and placing half of it into the new tank. Then, another two new bags of Flourite (this time, extremely well rinsed!) was placed on top of that. Two filter socks (8 X 12", 800 micron) were filled with well-rinsed Vigoro red lava rocks and buried under the soil to create a mound on one side of the tank.
Jun 24: Tank V2, initialized
More details on the steps taken to bring up this tank in a later post. For now, the tank has cleared up with a few water changes, driftwood placed and several fish are enjoying their new home!

1 comment:

James said...

Hey Joe!
Good luck with your new freshwater experience. Reef tanks canbe a headache. I know!

Best,
James