Monday, March 1, 2010

Purple Tang Removal

I tried using the 2-liter empty bottle method for capturing the Purple Tang, but the fish was too large. I even tried a plastic spaghetti holder with food placed at the bottom, but was only able to capture the Naso Tang. So, after moving the Naso Tang to the QT tank, I locally rented a larger fish trap from Aquatic Warehouse.
The Purple Tang took a few hours trying to figure out how to get inside the acrylic box trap. I had to use the turkey baster to swirl the Mysis Shrimp food to gain back his interest. He kept pecking from the outside of the box. When he finally entered the box, I yanked on the fishing line to close the trap. The box went up in the excitement, landed on my yellow bird's nest coral and broke it off.
Once the Purple Tang was caught, I called up the guy waiting to purchase the fish. He came to my house within 1/2 hour to take the fish to its new home.
While I was waiting, the Naso Tang was taken from the QT tank and placed back in the main tank. He was a little disoriented, but seemed to be saying his goodbyes to the old bully as he swam against the fish trap containg the Purple Tang.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: