Wednesday, March 4, 2009

SPS-eating Fish

I had a frag of a three-headed Hammer Coral fall and land between the Orange Montipora digitata and the ORA Green Bird's Nest corals. It wasn't more than 24 hours contact time, so I thought there would be a little bit of loss. Over the course of a week, however, I noticed that the corals kept loosing more and more tissue. The white skeleton underneath kept getting more and more exposed!
After careful observation, I noticed that my Pygmy Angels, especially the Coral Beauty, were picking only at the weakened tissue. Given more time, I think the fish will just work their way around the entire colony. Then, I noticed the Coral Beauty picking at the new SPS frags that I just transferred over.

I've decided to ask around for a fish trap on the hobbyist boards because I'm not going to be very successful trying to grow SPS frags with the Pygmy Angels always on the hunt.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: