Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Bubble Vs. Hammer Coral

I'm not one to re-arrange the corals often in my mini-reef tank. It's difficult to find the right balance of shape & form that you might find written in a feng shui booklet where the couch is not expected to attack the coffee table.

My bubble coral expands to the size of a personal pan pizza (with extra cheese) when the lighting turns up. I have to be careful because the "sweeper tentacles" will seek out any coral placed too close. Last night, I re-arranged corals and got some results in the morning.

Here you can see one tentacle attached to the hammer coral. A few more zaps from the bubble's nematocysts and the hammer coral will eventually lose its head and expose the skeleton underneath! I've already got a dead head out of view that I conveniently use as a handle so that I can move this coral.

On a side note, this rainbow acan is showing a lot of new polyp growth at the base. I'm thinking of placing this coral in a better display location. The difficulty will be in getting it glued down properly.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: